September 9, 2022
Last night, the City of Toronto celebrated and welcomed a new class of athletes, builders, legends and volunteers to the Toronto Sport Hall of Honour. It was the first time the event has been hosted in-person since 2019.
The celebration, hosted at the Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre, was highlighted by local sports legends including four-time Olympian Abby Hoffman, boxing sensation and Olympic silver medalist Egerton Marcus, Paralympic alpine skiing star Erin Latimer, internationally celebrated wheelchair racer Josh Cassidy, shot put powerhouse Brittany Crew and Canadian record-setting decathlete Pierce LePage. CBC’s Scott Russell, who returned as host of the event, was also honoured with a Medal of Distinction and inducted to the Toronto Sport Hall of Honour.
The following are this year’s Toronto Sport Hall of Honour inductees in each of the 11 categories:
- Athletes of the Year: Brittany Crew and Pierce LePage
- Special Olympics Athletes of the Year: Michael Bandler and Rachel Cohen
- Para-Athletes of the Year: Josh Cassidy and Erin Latimer
- Builder: John Gardner
- Corporate Builder: The Doug Philpott Inner-City Tennis Fund
- Team of the Year: Toronto Raptors
- Coach of the Year: Nick Nurse
- City of Sport Lifetime Achievement: Andy Higgins
- Sport Legends: Abby Hoffman and Egerton Marcus
- Spirit of Sport: Diversity and Inclusion: Savoy Howe
- Community Sport Volunteers: David Black, Shauna Bookal, Amreen Kadwa
The Toronto Sport Hall of Honour is a legacy initiative of the City’s Host City Showcase Program from the Toronto 2015 Pan Am and Parapan Am Games. Nominations for next year’s Toronto Sport Hall of Honour are open until October.
Nomination forms as well as this year’s inductee’s photos and bios are available online.
Toronto is home to more than 2.9 million people whose diversity and experiences make this great city Canada’s leading economic engine and one of the world’s most diverse and livable cities. As the fourth largest city in North America, Toronto is a global leader in technology, finance, film, music, culture and innovation, and consistently places at the top of international rankings due to investments championed by its government, residents and businesses. For more information visit the City’s website or follow us on Twitter , Instagram or Facebook .